Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lent 2012 - Making Sacrifices and Growing Closer to the Lord

Hey everyone! Long time no post... as usual :P

I'd like to take a little more deeper approach to this blog post than usual. As you all know (or not, that's OK ;D) we've been in the Lenten season of the Liturgical Year for a week now. (OK, a little more). How have your sacrifices been working out for you?

This year, I took a double approach to make up for last year's unproductiveness - I gave up secular music and I also gave up Facebook.

For the past week, I've listened to nothing but Matt Maher and Audrey Assad and a couple other CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) artists. It's an amazing experience. Every day in the car ride I felt myself automatically talking to God, speaking to Him through these songs. I can say my prayer life has been increased and I didn't forget to talk to God; like normally as often as I should talk. Well, I seem to talk to Him much more, that's what I meant. Yes, it was challenging. Many times I would find myself extremely tempted to push a button on my iPod that would send me to my favourites playlist. 111 of my favourite songs, all jam-packed into one convenient playlist of approximately three-four hours. I didn't though. That's not what Lent is about.

Lent is about bringing yourself closer to God. It's about thinking to yourself, what do I not need in my life? I want but I don't need? What is hindering or simply just blocking, shading my relationship with God? And sacrificing that in order to bring you closer to the Lord. It's hard. These 40 days are NOT easy, I can tell you that much.

And yes, I gave up Facebook. And if giving up secular music was tough, imagine me, the social butterfly, the one who spends hours on FB daily - giving it up. You're right, it hasn't been easy. Yes, I have been taking "sneak peeks" on Facebook. These past few days I peeked at my messages and my groups, peeking at the kind of things people are sending to me. What if it's urgent? I tell myself. Yes. I'm guilty, haha. My sacrifice of Facebook hasn't been that successful thus far, but I'm praying that it will. (At least I didn't look at any notifications or anywhere past the homepage ;D) Already, I found myself having so much more time to do homework, to write my novel, to release my feelings on the piano for half an hour. I found myself making more time to eat dinner too.

Giving up Facebook is hard!!! I have to admit it! My friends are holding me accountable, and I really appreciate them for doing so. Messages like "CHEATER! YOU'RE ON FACEBOOK! (lol)" really motivate me to just get off and stay as loyal as humanly possible to this sacrifice. (I should have clicked "appear offline"... but I do appreciate my friend for doing that). These 40 days are a kind of self-discipline for me. I don't need Facebook. It's useful and it's fun and it's a good time burner, but I don't need it. I am suffering from the lack of Facebook in my life but it's kind of a good suffering. It's an opportunity to grow closer to God. It's an opportunity to talk to Him more than electronically through Facebook friends.

This Lent, I want to challenge myself. These two sacrifices are extremely challenging for me, and I want to make the best out of it. I want to stay as loyal to it as I can. Lent is preparation for Easter, the biggest celebration of the Church. Talking to God and my desire to strengthen my relationship with Him will definitely help me through these 40 days.

I am praying and hoping that each of your sacrifices have been going well and you are getting something out of it; not just giving something up for "the heck of it".

Think this is pain? Try dying on a cross.

LORD, I love You. Help me to love You even more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment