So... yeah, this is my 100th post. Just though I'd throw it out there. I like milestones :)
I attended Vancouver College's Commencement Exercises today (88th one since VC opened... I was paying attention ^^) as the representative of one of the "Big Three" student groups at VC: the Edmundian Association. Attending (and helping at) the Commencement was a big honor, especially as a grade 11 with my fellow Presidents/Execs of the Student Council and the Lettermen Association. So happy for the Class of 2012, what a defining day it must be for them. (I can imagine that I'll probably be very teary-eyed 364 days from now at my own graduation on June 26, 2013). It's a brotherhood, and it's a second family, so it's definitely hard to part.
But helping and watching at the Commencement today really made me think about my own future. In 364 days I'll be walking down that same aisle, sitting on a black chair for around two hours, (hopefully having not too much heat beating down on me while I'm doing so) and throwing my hat up in the air (and catching it, and then putting it right back on because I look terrible with hat hair.) Then, no longer under the wing of VC and my fellow classmates, I will be left on my own to fly, to take on new endeavors. What awaits me beyond VC is still unknown to me, and although I still have a lot of time to think, that time is becoming smaller and slipping away faster than I ever wanted it to be. Back in grade eight I wanted to graduate, but now on the brink of entering my last year, I wish time can slow to a stop. That would allow me to live life a little longer, experience more things, and find out more about myself before the time begins again and I am walking down that aisle. But I guess there's no thrill in life without mystery and experiencing the unknown.
Next year I will be helping with the first Encounter retreat in November (Encounter 64), singing in the Liturgy Choir, co-heading the Yearbook, and of course, now leading the first club that I knew I belonged to when I joined years ago: the Edmundians. All this I'll be balancing with school and Youth Ministry. Capable? Yes. Nervous? Definitely. Ready? Heck yes. I'm excited that I've received so many opportunities already, and hopefully all these opportunities will lead me to discovering my calling and being ready to take those first steps out of VC next year.
Yes, it's still a long time from now, but it's never too late to start thinking.
No comments:
Post a Comment