Sunday, November 18, 2012

Journey to the Godspell Auditions (3 Days Left)

In three days the most important audition of my high school life is taking place - my audition for our school's musical Godspell happens this Wednesday and to say the least I'm just incredibly nervous. Maybe it's also because I've been putting quite a bit of pressure on myself. This is my fifth (and last) year at VC and I've watched three musicals and one 'play' go by since I came, and only auditioned twice for these four productions. Maybe it's the chance of failing that's hindered me from auditioning again. Or maybe I was just lazy. Whatever it is, you can tell regret is pulsing through me and I sincerely wished I could have tried out for the incredible musicals I've had the pleasure of watching, West Side Story and Guys and Dolls. Although I may not have gotten roles in those I sure wish I at least tried.

It's too late for regret now - Godspell is my last chance to be part of a production at VC - and my last chance to perform on that beautiful stage. The stage that I sometimes pass by, or stop by, during my day just to look at the empty seats, to stand on the stage and stare out into the theatre. It's so incredible to hear my own voice ring around the empty room and to imagine what it would be like to have an audience there.

I've been preparing like crazy - yet maybe still not as much as I'd like, but still I've been preparing a lot. I've sung "Beautiful City" until my voice gets hoarse and until I know the song inside out. I've done my monologue silently to myself in class, loudly in class, to my friends, even in the shower. I've watched a ton of videos taken from the Broadway Revival of Godspell. Taking in the energy, taking in the enthusiasm, and ultimately filling myself up with excitement for my audition for this chance to be in this incredible musical. Yes, I've been looking forward to this audition but I'm also incredibly nervous and scared. I'm thinking Godspell every moment of my day, thinking what I can do to make the audition better, more interesting, more comfortable. Thinking what I can do to stand out.

They say three time's the charm right? Three days left when I post this blog post. And this'll be the third time I've auditioned for a production at VC.

In three day's time it'll be decided. If I get a callback, I can continue to dream. But if I do not get a callback, it's pretty much time to say goodbye to musical theatre at VC, although I've never experienced it as that person on the stage. Because no callback pretty much means no role. But let's not think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment