Monday, November 12, 2012
Journey to the Godspell Auditions (9 Days Left)
This will now be the third time I've auditioned for a play/musical at Vancouver College. For the past five years, I've been auditioning on and off for different things every year and for some reason I just have the weirdest patterns.
The auditions began in grade 8 for We Are His Message. Up to this day I'm still not sure whether this was a talent show, a play, or a musical. But nevertheless, I didn't get accepted, which was a little disappointing for me, but I moved on: It was probably really good though, whatever it was.
Grade 9 came along and they started doing West Side Story. One reason or another I put it off so late that I eventually did not audition. I later saw the musical (two times, in fact) and they did a tremendous job. Then I find myself hating myself for not auditioning because it was such a beautifully, wonderfully done musical.
Grade 10 comes along and I auditioned for Grease, which ultimately I was called back and then did not make the second audition. I did not watch the show (was simply too busy) but ultimately it didn't seem like a musical I could've fit in with a role anyways. But at least I can say I gave it a try.
Grade 11 comes, and another famous musical is going to be VC-transformed: Guys and Dolls. Because of my bad experience the previous year I again chickened out of the auditions, but watched the show twice. And what do you know, it was an amazing show. I remember crying one of the nights after the show because of the thought that I could've done that. I could've been in this amazing musical. But I chickened out and let the nerves get the best of me that I didn't even try.
Grade 12 is finally here and I decided to come to terms with what I want to accomplish before I graduate. I'm already doing Edmundians and Yearbook, my two biggest dreams since grade 8. And I just came off of leading Encounter 64. And now here's the opportunity - another musical being put on this year, Godspell. I told myself "no more chickening out. You have to come to a conclusion." I decided then, in front of the sign up sheet, that I would not graduate without having performed on that beautiful stage. The theatre that pulled me to come to VC in the first place. And if I don't perform on that stage, that I would at least have given it a try. And believe me, I put off signing up till the last minute, until there were no more spots, until I had to beg the director to give me a slot because I basically was putting it off again - what I said I wouldn't do from the very start.
Now I have the date. I have the time. I have the opportunity. This weekend I've been practicing my monologue constantly and belting out my audition song ("Beautiful City" from Godspell). I've been reading audition tips from websites and I've been reading and preparing. I've been calling my friends in advance to help me with some music practice this week. Yes, I still have a week but I need to make sure I am the most prepared I can be.
I won't let this chance slip away from me. Not any longer. I want this too bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment